Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Baby Crochet

One of my favorite memories with my Nana, (Mama's Mama), is when she taught us all to crochet.  She is left-handed so naturally, Amery, Kayliegh and I picked it up rather fast. (Sorry Hana!).  Well I thought it was the most fun thing I had learned to do so far, besides cartwheels, so I kept at it. Over the years I asked friends, and figured out a way to do the single stitch to add to my chain. I thought I was so smart. I could make things!

Turns out I never really knew what I was making, I just liked how I could piece the yarn together to look like something. One time I actually made a little purse. I had to tie the strap to it though, because I had no idea how to connect them otherwise. It was cute! I wish I had a picture, but it's somewhere deep in storage.

As part of my nesting stage of pregnancy, I picked up crochet again. My family gave me loads of yarn for my birthday around Thanksgiving time. I was so happy! I made a little blanket for Kayliegh's baby girl, Lilly.

LillyBug's Blanket
The pattern isn't my favorite, now that I look at it finished. It turned out differently than I thought. But it is the first blanket I have ever finished! And Lilly is the first grand-daughter and niece from the Casper girls. So it's special.

I wanted to see if I could improve my skills, so I finally joined Pinterest. I found many guides and tutorials on simple and complex stitches. Also youtube has so many tutorials on how to make, flowers, hats and anything really. It was so great. I wanted to try everything. I also found a website that is like a knitter's/crochet club. There you share patterns and get tips. It's a great website and free to join. It's called Ravelry.

From Ravelry, I used a pattern to create this cute thing.


Newborn Hat
It took me 15 minutes to make. Such an easy pattern! The flower pattern was from a site that I found upon Google-ing, crochet flower patterns.

I also made a purple newborn hat and added matching ribbon, weaved throughout the hat instead of a flower.

I love crochet. The look, the creativity and the fact that it ties me to my Nana. It's fun to show her all the projects I've finished. Can't wait to do more!

*B*



No comments:

Post a Comment